Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquake, Hurricane and #AFundForJennie!

Hey everyone! I hope you're all recovering ok from the East-Coast earthquake on Tuesday (if you felt it) and are taking the proper precautions if you're in the area of Hurricane Irene!  It is so crazy to watch the news these days, the world is certainly keeping the reporters busy.

I honestly am so overwhelmed by the massive outpouring of support for #AFundForJennie.  I don't know her personally, and sadly, I didn't even know of her blog before learning of her tragedy.  But something connected with me (maybe because my husband's name is Mike), that made me want to do anything I could to help her out.  I may complain about not wanting to workout, or doing chores around the house, but all of my "woes" seemed so minute in comparison.

If you haven't visited the Bloggers Without Borders auction list, please go there now... I can wait :-)

* humming a little tune... filing my nails... going to get a drink of water * 

Did you check it out yet?  There are over 58 auctions, and every cent goes to #AFundForJennie.  There is something to bid on for every type of interest... cookies, bakeware, photography, one of a kind experiences, classes... even a custom Cake Pop Stand by yours truly, KC Bakes!  And I've seen on Twitter that there are still many more fundraising projects in the works as well.

Here are the facts... Jennie has two daughters, ages 3 and 8.  She is overwhelmed not only by her grief, and the sudden responsibility of raising two children by herself, but she is also struggling with this financially. She just learned that she cannot collect widow’s benefits from Social Security because she earns too much money each year. The health insurance for her and her kids runs out in December and she just learned that the total she will have to pay will be more than her mortgage. It’s possible she’ll have to pay off the entire mortgage in one lump sum because the apartment was in his name alone.

How can you help?

1. Bid on one of the many auction items. Honestly, the item you win is a bonus... the money your spending will truly effect the life of a mother and her children. 

2. Donate what you can, whether its $0.01, $1 or $10  (click on BWOB icon at top-right of my blog).  

3. Help spread the word - that is free! 


xoxo,
  Kim  

No comments:

Post a Comment