Sunday, August 7, 2011

Epic Baking Disaster

On Friday, I came across this really tasty-looking cupcake in a magazine, Raspberry Cream Cupcakes... sounds good, right?  I had to make cakes that night anyways, for a cake pop order, so I figured since the oven was going to be on, I'd try out the new recipe.  Well, I am here to tell you that Health magazine is probably not the best place to get a cupcake recipe!

I followed the recipe to the "T". I was super careful with the measurements, and even took pictures along the way (thinking it'd make a fun tutorial).  The batter seemed kind of runny, but hey, I followed the directions so in the oven they went.

You know how in the last 10 minutes of making a cake, your house starts to smell like yummy bakery?  Yea, not so much with these cupcakes.  I went into my kitchen to check the oven timer, and it smelled like a hair salon.  My husband actually happened to walk by and asked if I was dying my hair... that's never a good sign. 

Then it was time to make the frosting. I was particularly excited about this part, because raspberry is one of my favorite flavors.  I had visions of it turning out so amazing, thinking maybe I'd use this recipe and try to make cake pops out of it.  Again... not so much.  The "frosting" (emphasis on the air-quotes) was runny, and tasted gross.  Check it out...

Left: what the magazine claims the recipe makes. Right: my results.

Oh well, disasters happen to the best of us, right?  My cake pops turned out awesome, so it wasn't a total loss!  I even experimented with a crazy flavor combo... dark chocolate cake pops with crushed potato chip "sprinkles"...

A little messy to eat, but -omg- soooo good!

xoxo,
  Kim

1 comment:

  1. The pops look soo good - what a great idea to crush potatoe chips. I am definitely going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete