Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Think I Have Laliophobia

Hi everyone!  I'm sorry I've been M.I.A. this week - I'm still here, I promise!

I had to give a customer service presentation today at my day job for 210 of our student workers, so I was busy all week preparing for that.

I was so nervous!  My heart was racing so fast I could feel my pulse in my throat when I talked.  I'm not sure what gets me so worked up... I wasn't worried about the material I was presenting, I'm comfortable with the students and I really liked the PowerPoint I put together.  But when someone hands me a microphone, ooh boy, that strikes fear in me like no other.  I think its the potential to embarrass myself in front of other people that gives me such anxiety.

When I was in college, I worked for this same department actually, and I attended these all-day Saturday trainings as a student worker.  I remember dreading them, because they always seemed to drag on with speaker after speaker droning on about this and that. Now that I am on the administrative side, it gave me a whole new perspective on the process.  I didn't want these students to think the same of me, so - I came armed with cake pops... I am not below bribes people, haha.

Let - me - tell - you... the bribe worked!  After I tossed the first cake pop into the audience, I had their attention and soon multiple hands were waving in the air, wanting me to call on them.  The best part was, after the whole training was over, one of the male students that caught a cake pop came up to me...

Student: "Um, you made those cake pop things right?
Me: "Yea, I make them as a hobby.  Did you like it?"
Student: "OH MY GOODNESS, that was the awesomest thing ever.  How did you make them?"
Me: "Like step by step how do I make it?"
Student: "Yea, I've been trying to figure out how you got cake into this shape, it's sooo good..."

So I explained how to make cake pops to this 19-year old lifeguard, and he was so intrigued. :-)

xoxo,
  Kim

ps:  Laliophobia is the "morbid fear of speaking or stuttering". I can certanily identify with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment